Statistical excellence in the pharmaceutical industry
Our award for statistical excellence in the pharmaceutical industry is made jointly with PSI (Statisticians in the Pharmaceutical Industry) every year.
The award is for the most influential example of the application of an existing statistical practice, or the implementation of an innovative statistical practice, in this industry.
Entries will open for next year's awards in February 2019 so please revisit this page then if you would like to enter.
We look for entries that have demonstrated one or more of the following:
- A clear understanding of the needs of researchers and investigators
- An application of an existing statistical practice to a new area that has increased the quality and efficiency of investigations
- A new development in the design of investigations and/or the analysis of data that has led to further insights into the safety, efficacy and value of medicines or devices
- An excellent way to communicate results that is clear and helpful to a wide array of users, showing how statisticians understand the range of user needs
- Nominees can be based anywhere in the world and do not need to be a member of the RSS or PSI
For 2018 two awards were presented to:
- Dr Mouna Akacha, senior director at Novartis for ‘Enhancing drug development using clinically interpretable treatment effect measures (‘estimands‘)’.
- Dr Simon Bate, statistics leader at GlaxoSmithKline for ‘Improving the quality and reliability of animal research through the use of InVivoStat: a statistical software package for animal researchers’.
Read more about the winning entries on our news site, StatsLife.