Support school education
Get involved with improving statistical education and help improve students’ statistical skills and confidence.
There are many school outreach activities seeking volunteer input. The RSS is working with several of these to encourage Fellows to participate, drawing on the experiences of existing members. These include:
- STEM Ambassadors[KS1] : a UK-wide network linking people working in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) with schools.
- I’m a scientist, get me out of here[KS2] : online competition enabling young people in schools across the UK and Ireland to talk to people working in science and engineering.
- Nuffield Research Placements[KS3] : summer placement scheme for secondary school students to undertake research in businesses and universities across the UK.
- RI Masterclasses[KS4] : Saturday workshops on mathematics, computing and education for young people across the UK.
- School governors[KS5] : contributing to the success of schools in England through governance and oversight.
Our members have created resources for members such as Hands-on statistics [KS6] and Your career today… [KS7] to help their fellow members to deliver activities to young people. Suggestions of further working groups to develop materials are welcome, contact Scott Keir, Head of education and statistical literacy at email@example.com.
If you have a track record of delivering activities to school-age students, you should consider applying to be the RSS William Guy lecturer[KS8] , who is given support by the RSS to deliver lectures to school-age students.
We also highlight opportunities regularly on our call outs to members page on StatsLife. Whatever your area of interest in statistics or data, there will be a suitable opportunity for you.
We run a range of projects and activities to support teaching[KS9] .
We offer a free online membership for school teachers, e-Teacher, to help you be involved with our work and stay in touch with the statistical and data community. Find out more and join today.