1. You are part of a rich and vibrant community of over 8,000 statisticians and data users from all walks of life and an incredible range of employment sectors
2. Support the statistical profession: your membership supports us in advocating the key role of statistics and data in society, and in working to ensure that policy formulation and decision making are informed by evidence for the public good
3. Significance magazine! Our official magazine offers the latest news and developments in the world of statistics and was recently voted by the membership as your most valued tangible membership benefit
4. Get involved with our Sections and Local Groups and attend or watch meetings or events: as a member of the RSS you are invited to attend meetings organised by our sections and local groups. If you’re not able to attend these in person, many RSS meetings are available online. And if you live somewhere without a local group and want to create one, why not get in touch?
5. Get professional! If you’re a fellow and have a degree in statistics, you may qualify for Graduate Statistician (GradStat) status. If you also have five years’ experience working with statistics, you can apply for Chartered Statistician (CStat) status – or you can explore the competency based route to CStat.
6. Seek or give help in progressing through our professional qualifications. Already a GradStat? Then be sure to take advantage of our mentoring scheme. Or maybe you’re a CStat member that wants to be a mentor; get in touch to find out more. Don’t forget to also look at our Mid-Term Assessment option to help all GradStat members work towards that important CStat status, see here for more information.
7. Read the journals on the go: as a fellow, you have electronic access to your chosen journal series, both online through My RSS and through the dedicated iOS/Android apps. You can also sign up with Wiley to receive new content alerts, so you need never miss a thing. More info
8. Keep up to date with the member-only e-newsletter: with statistical and Society news, news of other members, job and event listings. Find more news, features and callouts to members on our StatsLife website, too.9. Attend our annual international conference at a discounted rate: in 2017, we hosted our biggest and most successful conference yet in Glasgow. The 2018 conference will be held in Cardiff, and as a fellow you get a discount on the registration fee. Put the dates in your diary now: 6-8 September 2018
10. Use your skills and knowledge for the greater good: you can offer your statistical services pro bono through our Statisticians for Society initiative. The scheme has been running since 2014 but recently got a big boost from the Big Lottery Fund. If you'd like to volunteer, please contact Amaka Nwagbara
And because we believe that statisticians count (but this list apparently cannot), here's an extra reason:
11. Offset the cost of your membership fee through the Member Discounts scheme: use the savings calculator and work out how much you could save. RSS fellows also enjoy discounts from a range of publishers, a 20% discount on room hire and free use of the Fellows Suite at our London HQ. Log in to My RSS for full details