Data Science Section
The Data Science Section is a newly formed section of the Royal Statistical Society that was established in 2017. The Section includes representatives from business, industry, government and academia and was formed to address emerging topics that will impact the long term success of data science as a profession.
The remit of the Data Science section is to be a professional body that represents data scientists in the UK. The section will organise meetings for a broad range of attendees and generate outputs that are aimed at:
- Promoting good practice by addressing what good Data Science looks like (with exemplars) and what it does not look like.
- Promoting the statistical aspects of Data Science / re-enforcing the statistical framework
- Being a trusted voice on Data Science for employers, including inputting to consultation exercises
- Supporting the Data Science community throughout the UK
- Supporting the pipeline and career development of data scientists and statisticians by elevating skill sets to work in the modern world
- Supporting important emerging topics such as ethics, privacy, algorithmic responsibility and personalization - lifting the quality of the conversation
- Fostering multi-disciplinary connections and the exchanging of ideas
Chair: Martin Goodson
Vice-Chair: James Weatherall
Secretary: Simon Goodchild
Meetings Secretary: Richard Pugh
Piers Stobbs (Discussion meetings representative)
View our events calendar for upcoming meetings: www.statslife.org.uk/data-science-section
News and meeting reports
Find out the latest news and events organised by the Data Science Section
The Industrialisation and Professionalisation of Data Science
The Data Science Section proposed 12 questions that would help to industrialise and professionalise data science. The section chose four of these questions and, in collaboration with the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, hosted a series of four workshops in 2018 to collect feedback from data science professionals. This paper is a summary of the feedback from all four workshops, including additional questions raised.
Paper: Industrialisation and Professionalisation of Data Science (PDF)
Annual Report 2018
Slack forum: RSS Data Science