Young Statisticians’ Section
The Young Statisticians Section (YSS) aims to unite statisticians in the early stages of their careers, acting as a central resource which supports, promotes, coordinates and provides a voice for all those within the YSS community. YSS provides both a social and professional resource centre for the community of career-young statisticians. At the time of creation, no such resource was available for those entering a career in statistics, with previous groups being fragmented or focused on specific methodologies. The establishment of the committee aimed to ease the transitions encountered when advancing from a student to career-young statistician and subsequently to an experienced statistician within RSS.
The aims and objectives of the section are:
- Arrange a diverse programme of accessible events, both face-to-face and online, which encourage networking and the engagement of career-young statisticians, data scientists, and those interested in statistics with the RSS community.
- Work with the RSS to help promote events, professional development and training opportunities, and current RSS initiatives (such as AIMS), to the YSS community.
- Maintain a strong link with RSS sections and local groups, to enable the organisation and wider advertisement of joint events and webinars./li>
- Inform the YSS community of RSS and YSS events, activities, and developments by utilising the YSS website, bulletin, social media, and mailing list.
- Organise and deliver a diverse programme of events for the RSS annual conference designed to appeal to both the YSS, and the wider RSS, communities.
- Maintain close associations with the RSS Journalism Awards and Significance magazine, and jointly organise the annual Statistical Excellence in Early Career Writing Competition.
- Coordinate overview meetings (DeMOs) ahead of RSS Discussion Meetings in liaison with the RSS Discussion Meetings Committee to facilitate the engagement of young statisticians.
- Promote statistical activity in schools via the STEM Ambassador scheme in partnership with the RSS Education Committee.
- Promote careers in statistics and data science through the organisation of careers events such as the annual Statistical Showcase and Statistically Significant Careers.
Chair: Lucy Teece
Vice chair: vacant
Secretary: Emily Granger
Meetings secretary: Maria Dunbar
Craig Anderson (Discussion meetings representative)
Sarah Nevitt (co-opted)
View our events calendar: statslife.org.uk/young-statisticians-section
News and meeting reports
Read news about the section and reports from our meetings.
Annual Report 2018